What is the benefit of studying in UK?

There are many benefits of studying in the UK. The UK has a long tradition of quality and internationally recognised education. As a student, you also get to experience a multi-cultural and diverse study atmosphere as the UK is a study destination for students from around the world. The biggest benefit is time. Qualifications in the UK are finished earlier than in other countries. It takes just 1 year to complete your Postgraduate studies and 3 years for Undergraduate qualifications. You should visit: www.educationuk.org or www.gostudyuk.com to learn more about the benefits UK of education.

Which university is best for studying?

Ranking universities for their quality of teaching in various. To know more about the ranking of UK universities, the main UK national newspapers that publish annual league tables of UK educational institutions are The Times, The Sunday Times, The Financial Times, The Independent and The Guardian. By looking at them for the same subject, you will notice that they often come up with different results. Use them as a rough guide only.

In terms of research, reports are made every five or six years by the UK Higher Education Funding Councils. Their Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) provides a comprehensive peer review of departments’ research and grades each subject discipline (in one of the 67 units of assessment (UOA) in the RAE) in each university from Unclassified (the lowest) to 4* (the highest). More information can be found on  www.rae.ac.uk.

Teaching Quality Information (TQI) for institutions in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (plus some Scottish ones) is available on the www.unistats.co.uk. This gives a broader picture of what it is like to study at these institutions as the TQI data is made up of the National Student Survey (NSS), plus in-depth official UK government statistics concerning students at these institutions, including their career paths after graduation. 

You can also look at the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) www.qaa.ac.uk Institutional audits and also see whether an institution or course is professionally accredited as well. There are many pieces of information available to help you decide whether a course or institution is the one for you.

How are universities ranked?

Rankings are based on subjectively perceived "quality", or on some combination of empirical statistics, or on surveys of educators, scholars, students, prospective students or others.  There are several types of rankings so be careful that you are looking at the correct one for your needs. The BCIE offices can guide you on this.

What is the duration of studying in the UK?

A typical undergraduate degree in the UK is 3 years, while a master's degree is 1 year, and DBA/PhDs is from 3 years. However, we have universities that offer 2 – year fast track undergraduate degree programmes. There are also top-up undergraduate programmes lasting one year for students who may have previous professional qualifications, ordinary and national diplomas, or extensive relevant work experience.

I don’t have the grades I need to get onto the course I want. What can I do?

Many colleges have access courses validated by a university that allow you to prepare for a degree course. They last from six months to a year and teach you a variety of subjects, including the one you plan to study – English, study skills, research and more. They are sometimes called foundation, bridging or preparatory courses as well.

I don’t know whether a UK university will accept my qualifications. How can I find out?

There are two organisations that can help you find out: the British Council, which has offices all over the world, and UK NARIC, the UK National Recognition Information Centre. They may have slightly different standards, but it should give you an idea of what the universities are looking for.

My University has refused to give me a copy of my transcript. Do I give them the address of the University in the UK where I am applying to study so that they courier the transcript there?

You can give them the office address of the FKGEV branch where you application is being handled for them to scan a copy of the transcript to the University you are applying to. We work closely with our universities such that we can certify copies of your transcripts once we have sighted the originals.  This helps to speed up the whole process for you.

Do universities provide work placement?

Yes, some universities do provide work placement, especially in fields related to IT and technology. However, you must apply for it to be considered for this option. The placements are usually paid work periods with companies. Some universities also charge a placement fee if you are interested in this option.