How much does a postgraduate course cost in the UK?

For each academic year, you can expect to pay £5,000 to £13,000 for classroom-based courses, £9,000 to £16,000 for laboratory or workshop-based courses and £11,000 to over £26,000 for clinical courses. These are estimates only and can vary with institution and location. International students will pay ‘overseas’ fee rates that are higher than ‘home’ fees for UK residents, which are subsidised by the UK government. You may qualify for these lower fees if you are classed as a UK resident or you come from an EU member country. Your institution will have the final say on whether you qualify.

Is it expensive to study in the UK?

deciding to study is an investment with life-long consequences, and in so far as the returns on the initial investment will be much higher, with much better job prospects and a worldwide network of contacts, then we cannot say that it is expensive!  Given the changes in exchanges rates and the very competitive nature of British Universities, it is no longer expensive to study in the UK.

How much will it cost to support myself during a postgraduate course?

For one academic year of nine months, the current estimate is about £11,500 for London and £9,500 for elsewhere (£1,265 a month in London and £1,015 a month elsewhere). This should cover the cost of accommodation, heating, lighting, food, clothing, books and daily travel. These are estimates only and can vary with institution and location.

Do I have to pay all the fees before getting the visa or travelling?

No. You do not have to pay all before travelling to the school. Most Universities have instalment plans, but it goes with deadlines, so we will have to ensure you pay within the dates given. Most Universities will, however, give a discount for early payment, if full fees are paid before the beginning of the first semester or a given date. Contact our offices so they can discuss your case with you. Note also that each University will have its own ‘Deposit’ policy and you will usually have to pay the required deposit before you can apply for a visa.

Will I be allowed to work while I am studying?

If your course lasts six months or more, you will be allowed to work part time for up to 20 hours a week during term time and full time during the holidays, subject to certain restrictions. The sort of job that would allow you to only work this amount and still fit it around your studies would probably be working in a bar, pub or restaurant, although there may be some available in a factory or warehouse as well. Remember, though, that you cannot rely on this to fund your studies and your institution may not be happy about you doing this if it puts pressure on the time available for your studies.

What kind of financial help or funding is available to international students?

It is almost impossible to make arrangements for financial aid and funding once you have left your home country. Start by contacting your own country’s ministry or department of education. How much you are eligible for and under what conditions will vary depending on each country. It may be a grant, but more countries are switching to loans instead, which you pay back once you have a job.

Scholarships are another option. There will be many different types available, as your own government and the UK government, plus many other organisations, bodies and institutions, will be interested in encouraging the best from your country to study abroad (see the scholarships section »  of our website for more information on scholarships). Competition for scholarships is fierce and you should make sure you apply early. For all scholarships, you must show academic merit and research potential.